Chollerton PCC


The Church of St. Giles, consists of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and a tower, heightened by the addition of a belfry stage, containing two bells, only one of which is currently ringable.

It was last restored in 1875, as much as possible of the ancient structure being retained. The unsightly modern windows were removed and replaced by others in the later Early English style all the windows in the nave and chancel are stained. One hundred people can be sat comfortably in church.

In the nave are Roman pillars that support the south side of the main roof. It is thought the pillars were removed from either the Corbridge or Chesters Roman sites. We hope they do not ever want them back The church is Grade 1 listed. The stable and hearse house is Grade 2 listed and the memorial stone to John Saint south of the church in the churchyard is Grade 2 listed.

Contact us